Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Goals and Motivation

I hit a wall this past week. I have been in a real rut over the past week and a half or so. I've felt like I've been spinning wheels and not really improving or making that many gains. I've put on 5 lbs over the past week ( this really killed my motivation). I haven't been running as much because of the heat (a lame excuse) and all my lifting and training I dread and think of as a chore. I've began to take two rest days in a row ( I'm not thinking that this is such a bad idea however). I feel as if I've been slacking off and not really as focused as I need to be. I also feel guilty for not training as hard as I know I should. I feel like I'm holding back. I dread my work outs and feel lazy and unmotivated.

Goal Seeking

So I know what my goal is, not just finish the Tough Mudder but to kick it in the balls. While this is my ultimate goal I don't know how I'm going to get there. This is where I've been thinking about what I need to achieve my goal. I need stamina, willpower and strength. How will I achieve excellence in each one of these three ? I realized that while I have my eyes on the prize I need to deconstruct each aspect into accomplish-able mini goals. Not only will I need to set them into mini goals , I'll need to have a date and hold myself accountable for those goals.

"A goal properly set is halfway reached." - Abraham Lincoln


Goal Setting


Now that I know my main goal and I am starting to think about what I need to accomplish that goal I've decided to break up my goals into accountable and measurable units. I'm going to make up a new excel sheet to track my progress and monitor my performance and set performance goals. I'm going to have dates in which I need to accomplish these goal by and hold myself accountable. If I fail to meet a goal I'll be upset but won't let it hinder my over all training.  I think this will be an ample motivator in my training as well as help me realize that by attaining these little goal I will be able to dominate the larger goal.


Goals and Training regiment


I've been sticking to the same regiment for almost a full month now. I have to admit while I have gotten stronger, I hate parts of it. Man makers are by god the longest and most boring exercise there is. Doing 30 in a row is a huge pain and feels like forever. So I'm going to start breaking it up into smaller sets and perhaps for time? I need to come up with a new training regiment where I won't get as bored as easily and I actually look forward to my training activities. I'm going to review the course and figure out a new regiment / strategy to help me overcome the course. I'll post up my results this weekend when I've gotten my new routine honed in. I'll probably keep the endurance runs since I really enjoy those.


Oh yeah, I also did my first one-armed pull up this week. So all in all it really isn't that bad.     

1 comment:

  1. [...] , as you know I’ve been slacking on my motivation but that is all in the past.  I finally bought my ticket this week !!!!!!! Seeing the charge on my [...]

    ReplyDelete