Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Updates on Training

So I've been pretty good about keeping up with my training. I've been keeping the same regiment as I posted before but I've made a few modifications. If I'm in a place where I can't jump rope (my bedroom) I have replaced it with Mountain Climbers. They are about as fun as they look. I'm hoping this will strengthen up my legs for the hill climb.






While my strength training is slowly progressing I've started to work more on my endurance by running. Two weeks ago I went running with a friend and essentially ran about 4 miles. I looked up a 5k that was held at the site we were running at the week before. It isn't just a flat 5k it involves running over a pedestrian footbridge that bows up and down , a wooden bridge and what I estimate as a .5 mile rock hop. While I'm above the 5k stage, I need to be adding at least a half mile a week. So I decided I'll just run the course twice.

So I ran the first "leg" of my 10k, my calves were a little taut but I was otherwise O.K. then I got that little burning sensation on the ball of my foot. I should have known then to stop but me thinking  "Oh I'll just stop being a pansy" and continued to run. I kept my pace of 8 minute miles and finished with decent time.

The blister on my foot after could only be describe as ungodly hell. I haven't gotten a blister this bad in a long time. I could barely walk on it the following day and couldn't walk normally for the next 3 days. I haven't let it really hinder my training ( I took a rest day and then weight trained in regular shoes). For my endurance cardio I switched to riding a recumbent exercise bike at increasing resistance for an hour and a half ( thank god the World Cup was on).



2 comments:

  1. I was a little dissapointed at the Tough Mudder I did in May, had been training hard turned out to be more of a 4 mile fun run rather than "the toughest event in North America" plus they really need to re-think the FLOW of the event there was 45 minute waits at some of the obstacles. Signed up to do a similar event in NY the Spartan Race will see how that one goes 1 mile shorter but a friend did the one in VT and said course was pretty fierce. http://www.spartanrace.com hopefully when you do the race they will iron out the kinks in the course. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really awesome , I might sign up for the NY race too.

    ReplyDelete